Friday, April 10, 2015

On Rabid Squirrels and Lifespans




I have no idea if this squirrel was rabid or not.  All I know was that it was getting far too close to the kids at a local playground.  It walked right by us.  Stopped a while, sat on a cement wall and then on the memorial bench.  

We kept our children away from the squirrel and watched as it did its seemingly intentional wandering.  

Truth be told, I was kind of scared and entranced by it.  Was it looking for something?  Was it out of its mind?  

I think that I was kind of jealous of it.  Imagine running through a park, being pulled by nothing save for your own inner thoughts and introspection.  Imagine the luxury of getting lost in thought.  

According to Wikipedia, squirrels in the wild can expect a lifespan of 2-6 years.  Not very long. Maybe they are entitled to their moments of oddity and getting lost in thought.  

If I'm lucky, I'm looking at another 50 years on my lifespan.  One day, I might have too much time for introspection.  With that in mind, I'll go back to busy thoughts and practices of child-rearing, writing, dinner, and family time.  


Cyndia Rios-Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment